Miscellaneous Forums

All the cool Scratchers.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-21 18:02:21

elfin8er
Scratcher

Suggestions For A Laptop/Ultrabook?

So I'm looking at buying a laptop or an ultrabook in the next few months. I want something that I can play some games on, but that I can also pick-up-and-go. I'd like to be able to play games like tf2, Minecraft and Starcraft 2 (just as examples). I don't need to be able to play them on max settings with high FPS. Normal or high settings are fine (don't want to go below normal or minimal). I also want to be able to load Ableton on it, and use it for making music.

I should also note, that it'll probably be a few months before I'll get it, so if there's anything to keep my eyes open for in the next few months, let me know! I'm also looking to spend around 1200-1600 on the laptop.

So Scratchers, got any suggestions for me?

#2 2015-01-21 18:21:50

Slaymaker
Scratcher

Re: Suggestions For A Laptop/Ultrabook?

It really depends on the type of laptop you'd be getting... If you can get a gaming laptop then go for that but if you can't really do that go for an ultrabook for sure. Might I also recommend the razer blade laptop. Fantastic performance! Runs every game you've talked about max settings 60 FPS or more and is incredibly thin.

Last edited by Slaymaker (2015-01-21 18:28:16)

meme-faces-3-meme-fb-cover.jpg

#3 2015-01-21 18:43:28

elfin8er
Scratcher

Slaymaker wrote:

It really depends on the type of laptop you'd be getting... If you can get a gaming laptop then go for that but if you can't really do that go for an ultrabook for sure. Might I also recommend the razer blade laptop. Fantastic performance! Runs every game you've talked about max settings 60 FPS or more and is incredibly thin.

That laptop looks amazing, but dude. It STARTS at more than twice my budget xD I know there are other laptops out there can are decent that are more within my price range. Heck, even the macbook air is in my price range and could play games decently at ~40 FPS.

#4 2015-01-21 18:46:57

Slaymaker
Scratcher

elfin8er wrote:
Slaymaker wrote:

That laptop looks amazing, but dude. It STARTS at more than twice my budget xD I know there are other laptops out there can are decent that are more within my price range. Heck, even the macbook air is in my price range and could play games decently at ~40 FPS.

Oh sorry I didn't check. I think the older models are in your price range. I was looking into getting one back when they were first introduce. My advice in that case is to look around for a laptop before getting an ultrabook. But even then, you've wanted a MacBook for a while now right?

#5 2015-01-21 18:50:15

elfin8er
Scratcher

Slaymaker wrote:
elfin8er wrote:
Slaymaker wrote:

Oh sorry I didn't check. I think the older models are in your price range. I was looking into getting one back when they were first introduce. My advice in that case is to look around for a laptop before getting an ultrabook. But even then, you've wanted a MacBook for a while now right?

Yea, I'm definitely looking into laptops rather than ultrabooks. I just kind of meant a lighter-weight laptop. I've seen laptops that are 10+ lbs, and that's just too big and bulky for my taste. Heck, you could get a desktop that weighs that...

Also, I have been looking into MacBooks, but idk. Their price is actually a little competitive now, but idk if I could do the same things on a MacBook. Then again, I can't do the same things on a Windows PC as I can on a Mac. So Idk...

Oh, and I'll also be sure to look into the older Razor models as well!

#6 2015-01-21 18:52:49

elfin8er
Scratcher

Also, is Razor like Alienware in that you're kinda just paying for the name?

#7 2015-01-21 18:54:11

Slaymaker
Scratcher

elfin8er wrote:

No it's really quality it's one of the few products that actually impressed me in that they managed to fit so much power into such a thin device.

#8 2015-01-21 18:56:02

Slaymaker
Scratcher

elfin8er wrote:
Slaymaker wrote:
elfin8er wrote:

Yea, I'm definitely looking into laptops rather than ultrabooks. I just kind of meant a lighter-weight laptop. I've seen laptops that are 10+ lbs, and that's just too big and bulky for my taste. Heck, you could get a desktop that weighs that...

Also, I have been looking into MacBooks, but idk. Their price is actually a little competitive now, but idk if I could do the same things on a MacBook. Then again, I can't do the same things on a Windows PC as I can on a Mac. So Idk...

Do you think a MacBook would run Starcraft comfortably?

#9 2015-01-21 19:00:30

elfin8er
Scratcher

Slaymaker wrote:
elfin8er wrote:

No it's really quality it's one of the few products that actually impressed me in that they managed to fit so much power into such a thin device.

Yea, but for the price it's not worth it to me. I'd rather have something in my price range tongue

Somebody also recommended THIS thing to me. Then there's also the Lenovo Y50 series that has the same specs, but has a model with 4 GB of video memory instead of 2, and only 8 GB of SSD storage. That's a * ton of video memory though... xD

#10 2015-01-21 19:01:33

elfin8er
Scratcher

Slaymaker wrote:
elfin8er wrote:
Slaymaker wrote:

From what I hear, it doesn't run well at all... hmm

#11 2015-01-21 19:35:37

Slaymaker
Scratcher

elfin8er wrote:
Slaymaker wrote:
elfin8er wrote:

From what I hear, it doesn't run well at all... hmm

That's what I thought I'd stick to just searching for a viable gaming laptop within your budget.

#12 2015-01-21 20:59:30

echs
Scratcher

suggestions: if the macbook air is within your budget and its not good enough for you, you need to lower your expectations

ER77UC2.gif

#13 2015-01-21 21:35:17

Slaymaker
Scratcher

echs wrote:

suggestions: if the macbook air is within your budget and its not good enough for you, you need to lower your expectations

Why would he lower his expectations? MacBook is mostly used for office tools and music it's mainly so expensive because it's pretty and it's made by Apple. There are plenty laptops that offer gaming ready specs for the same price and the MacBook. Don't get me wrong, I love MacBooks and everything else Apple makes. It's just that for what elfin8er wants/expects from a laptop the MacBook isnt the right choice.

#14 2015-01-21 21:52:29

__init__
Scratcher

I'd recommend the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro. It's pretty amazing.

#15 2015-01-21 21:55:39

Slaymaker
Scratcher

__init__ wrote:

I've heard good things about that one too. Doesnt it have touch screen or something? Or am I thinking about something else?

#16 2015-01-21 22:00:54

__init__
Scratcher

Slaymaker wrote:
__init__ wrote:

I've heard good things about that one too. Doesnt it have touch screen or something? Or am I thinking about something else?

Yeah, it has a touchscreen and has a 360-degree hinge (meaning it can convert into a tablet!) It's thinner than the MacBook Air, yet it has 8GB of RAM, a 256/512GB SSD, and an Intel Core M-Y71 processor.
You can see the full product page here: shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/yoga-laptop-series/yoga-3-pro-laptop/

#17 2015-01-21 22:03:09

Slaymaker
Scratcher

__init__ wrote:
Slaymaker wrote:
__init__ wrote:

Yeah, it has a touchscreen and has a 360-degree hinge (meaning it can convert into a tablet!) It's thinner than the MacBook Air, yet it has 8GB of RAM, a 256/512GB SSD, and an Intel Core M-Y71 processor.
You can see the full product page here: shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/yoga-laptop-series/yoga-3-pro-laptop/

How fast is the processor, do you know?

#18 2015-01-21 22:53:14

elfin8er
Scratcher

__init__ wrote:
Slaymaker wrote:
__init__ wrote:

Huh. Curios how it compares to the laptop I mentioned above.

#19 2015-01-21 23:27:36

elfin8er
Scratcher

Slaymaker wrote:
__init__ wrote:
Slaymaker wrote:

1.1 - 1.2 MHz. It was in the link he posted. Geez man! xD

#20 2015-01-21 23:53:51

Slaymaker
Scratcher

elfin8er wrote:
Slaymaker wrote:
__init__ wrote:

1.1 - 1.2 MHz. It was in the link he posted. Geez man! xD

Oh it didn't show up as slink do I no clicky.

#21 2015-01-22 00:52:17

elfin8er
Scratcher

__init__ wrote:

You can see the full product page here: shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/yo … ro-laptop/

^ There you go buddy! tongue

Last edited by elfin8er (2015-01-22 00:53:29)

#22 2015-01-22 00:55:28

Slaymaker
Scratcher

elfin8er wrote:
__init__ wrote:

You can see the full product page here: shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/yo … ro-laptop/

^ There you go buddy! tongue

Haha, thanks.

#23 2015-01-22 04:48:27

wave100
Scratcher
Website

I think we've talked about this before, but it's worth mentioning again- Zenbook all the way!

10202.png

#24 2015-01-22 04:50:57

elfin8er
Scratcher

wave100 wrote:

I think we've talked about this before, but it's worth mentioning again- Zenbook all the way!

Thanks for the reminder! I'll add it to list of laptops I have in my mind. I think I'm gonna start comparing tonight.

#25 2015-01-22 06:44:33

jji7skyline
Scratch Team

Macbook Air 13" unless you want really good graphics. Games like tf2 and Minecraft run fine on Intel HD graphics. It's probably one of the few laptops that will actually last a whole day, has a nice screen, keyboard and trackpad, and has software that doesn't come with bloatware.

PC desktops are awesome, but when it comes to laptops, Apple is hard to beat.

If you want good graphics on a macbook though, you end up paying a lot more.

The HP Envy 17" is a good deal, it seems to be in your price range, comes with 1TB, 8GB RAM, FHD Display and an i7 CPU. It has a NVIDIA GT740M which is quite a good one.

Board footer