Miscellaneous Forums

All the cool Scratchers.

You are not logged in.

#26 2015-01-22 07:08:54

elfin8er
Scratcher

Re: Suggestions For A Laptop/Ultrabook?

jji7skyline wrote:

Macbook Air 13" unless you want really good graphics. Games like tf2 and Minecraft run fine on Intel HD graphics. It's probably one of the few laptops that will actually last a whole day, has a nice screen, keyboard and trackpad, and has software that doesn't come with bloatware.

PC desktops are awesome, but when it comes to laptops, Apple is hard to beat.

If you want good graphics on a macbook though, you end up paying a lot more.

The HP Envy 17" is a good deal, it seems to be in your price range, comes with 1TB, 8GB RAM, FHD Display and an i7 CPU. It has a NVIDIA GT740M which is quite a good one.

If I were to go with a Macbook, I think I'd go with the Pro rather than the Air. Though I did put together THIS HP Envy, and it seems pretty good...

#27 2015-01-22 07:27:26

jji7skyline
Scratch Team

elfin8er wrote:
jji7skyline wrote:

Macbook Air 13" unless you want really good graphics. Games like tf2 and Minecraft run fine on Intel HD graphics. It's probably one of the few laptops that will actually last a whole day, has a nice screen, keyboard and trackpad, and has software that doesn't come with bloatware.

The HP Envy 17" is a good deal, it seems to be in your price range, comes with 1TB, 8GB RAM, FHD Display and an i7 CPU. It has a NVIDIA GT740M which is quite a good one.

If I were to go with a Macbook, I think I'd go with the Pro rather than the Air. Though I did put together THIS HP Envy, and it seems pretty good...

Hm, that one doesn't seem to have dedicated graphics. Maybe only the australian version has that.

The Retina Macbook Pros are good too. The non-retina one is outdated though.

#28 2015-01-22 14:38:21

Slaymaker
Scratcher

Seems like the HP Envy is an amazing choice (at least on paper).

meme-faces-3-meme-fb-cover.jpg

#29 2015-01-22 17:08:41

elfin8er
Scratcher

jji7skyline wrote:
elfin8er wrote:
jji7skyline wrote:

Hm, that one doesn't seem to have dedicated graphics. Maybe only the australian version has that.

Ah. I wonder if I could find an Australian one somewhere... also, the retina MacBook Pro is still in my price range, and is clocked at 2.5 GHz, with turbo boost to 3.1 I believe.

#30 2015-01-22 17:24:39

Slaymaker
Scratcher

elfin8er wrote:
jji7skyline wrote:
elfin8er wrote:

Ah. I wonder if I could find an Australian one somewhere... also, the retina MacBook Pro is still in my price range, and is clocked at 2.5 GHz, with turbo boost to 3.1 I believe.

That sounds like it would run everything you want. Plus it's really pretty and it has garage band tongue

#31 2015-01-22 17:26:29

elfin8er
Scratcher

Slaymaker wrote:
elfin8er wrote:
jji7skyline wrote:

That sounds like it would run everything you want. Plus it's really pretty and it has garage band tongue

But it's Mac, so I'm not 100% it'll be able to run the games I'd like to be able to play. It's really tempting. But you really seem to have no clue what I should get xD First you recommend the Razor laptop, then agree with the HP Envy, now the Mac... xD ezgif-3945917597

Last edited by elfin8er (2015-01-22 17:26:41)

#32 2015-01-22 17:28:10

Slaymaker
Scratcher

elfin8er wrote:
Slaymaker wrote:
elfin8er wrote:

But it's Mac, so I'm not 100% it'll be able to run the games I'd like to be able to play. It's really tempting. But you really seem to have no clue what I should get xD First you recommend the Razor laptop, then agree with the HP Envy, now the Mac... xD ezgif-3945917597

I only suggest the Mac because you have been talking about getting one for years now, the HP Envy I hadnt heard of before this topic, and the Razer Blade is my real recommendation but it's out of your price range.

#33 2015-01-22 17:32:27

elfin8er
Scratcher

Slaymaker wrote:
elfin8er wrote:
Slaymaker wrote:

I only suggest the Mac because you have been talking about getting one for years now, the HP Envy I hadnt heard of before this topic, and the Razer Blade is my real recommendation but it's out of your price range.

Huh. The HP Envy looks good, except for it doesn't have dedicated graphics as Justin stated. The Acer I had mentioned above looks like the next best choice aside from the Mac.

#34 2015-01-22 18:17:52

elfin8er
Scratcher

The more I look into it, the more the Lenovo Y50 series looks like the way to go. Specifically THIS one. I just hope the build quality is up to par.

#35 2015-01-22 18:19:38

Slaymaker
Scratcher

elfin8er wrote:

The more I look into it, the more the Lenovo Y50 series looks like the way to go. Specifically THIS one. I just hope the build quality is up to par.

Ooo I like the sound of that one. You know what. Don't ask me for advice on chooding electronics. I'm incredibly indecisive when it comes to this topic.

#36 2015-01-22 18:21:45

elfin8er
Scratcher

Slaymaker wrote:
elfin8er wrote:

Ooo I like the sound of that one. You know what. Don't ask me for advice on chooding electronics. I'm incredibly indecisive when it comes to this topic.

Haha, to be fair, I didn't really ask you xD But yea, this one seems to be better specs then even the Macbook. Although the Macbook has a better processor, this one has more memory (RAM, and hard drive space), and a dedicated video card. This one seems like the way to go as long as the build quality is good. I'll start searching for reviews.

#37 2015-01-22 18:23:42

Slaymaker
Scratcher

elfin8er wrote:
Slaymaker wrote:
elfin8er wrote:

Haha, to be fair, I didn't really ask you xD But yea, this one seems to be better specs then even the Macbook. Although the Macbook has a better processor, this one has more memory (RAM, and hard drive space), and a dedicated video card. This one seems like the way to go as long as the build quality is good. I'll start searching for reviews.

Omg so off topic but when you said "reviews" you reminded me of something. Look up "3 Wolf Shirt" on Amazon and read the reviews.

Also I agree. This laptop looks good. Just not as good as the Razer Blade.

#38 2015-01-22 18:33:50

elfin8er
Scratcher

Slaymaker wrote:
elfin8er wrote:
Slaymaker wrote:

Omg so off topic but when you said "reviews" you reminded me of something. Look up "3 Wolf Shirt" on Amazon and read the reviews.

Also I agree. This laptop looks good. Just not as good as the Razer Blade.

lol, will do.

Yea, the Razer Blade looks amazing, just waaaaay to expensive for me xD The Razer is better than my desktop (which is saying much tbh).

#39 2015-01-23 01:16:17

jji7skyline
Scratch Team

elfin8er wrote:

Wow those are some awesome specs. If you don't mind getting a windows laptop I guess this would be the way to go.

Comparison with 15" Retina Macbook Pro.

Same CPU speed.
Lenovo is slightly faster in GPU speed (around 25%)
Macbook has less storage, but the storage is faster.
Same RAM.
Macbook has better screen by far, more resolution and better quality.
Macbook also has better keyboard and trackpad by far.
Macbook has battery life that lasts twice as long, or more.
Macbook is lighter, slimmer.
Macbook can run both Mac and Windows, while the Lenovo can only run Windows.
Lenovo

For gaming the Lenovo wins, especially if you'll be using it mostly on a desk. But a laptop isn't like a desktop where performance is the only thing that matters. If you'll be carrying your laptop around for school or something, the Macbook will be much better.

You can get student discount on the Macbook too, or you can look through the refurbished models.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/s … ook_pro/15

#40 2015-01-23 01:40:44

Slaymaker
Scratcher

jji7skyline wrote:
elfin8er wrote:

Wow those are some awesome specs. If you don't mind getting a windows laptop I guess this would be the way to go.

Same CPU speed.
Same RAM.
Lenovo

For gaming the Lenovo wins, especially if you'll be using it mostly on a desk. But a laptop isn't like a desktop where performance is the only thing that matters. If you'll be carrying your laptop around for school or something, the Macbook will be much better.

You can get student discount on the Macbook too, or you can look through the refurbished models.

I'm sure you could find more than one way to run Mac on a Lenovo.

#41 2015-01-23 02:33:53

jji7skyline
Scratch Team

Slaymaker wrote:
jji7skyline wrote:
elfin8er wrote:

Same CPU speed.
Same RAM.
Lenovo

I'm sure you could find more than one way to run Mac on a Lenovo.

You must be referring to 'hackintoshing'.

I've done this myself on a few computers, and it won't work on the Lenovo of the GTX860M graphics, which aren't supported. It may work on the HP Envy though, but things like wifi and sound may not work, or may require patching.

If you want to learn more about hackintoshing, there's a few good websites.

tonymacx86 (good resource, but forums are very unfriendly)
insanelymac (cool, but a little unorganised)
/r/hackintosh (very friendly, a little short on specific info)

But most hackintoshing is centred around specially built desktops with parts selected for maximum compatibility. There isn't much support for laptops at all, and most people will just tell you to go buy a macbook because it's so hit and miss. Just check out many of the laptop threads on the subreddit if you want proof.

In short, it's a million times easier to run Windows on a Mac, than it is to run OSX on a PC.

#42 2015-01-23 02:34:59

April
Princess de jure
Website

If you don't want OS X, then that's not an advantage that it can run either.

#43 2015-01-23 02:56:41

jji7skyline
Scratch Team

April wrote:

I think that elfin is interested in OSX, at least that's what Slaymaker seems to think?

#44 2015-01-23 07:23:26

elfin8er
Scratcher

jji7skyline wrote:
April wrote:

I think that elfin is interested in OSX, at least that's what Slaymaker seems to think?

I want OS X for Logic Pro, Garage band, and the sorts, but I want Windows for playing games and what-not. I guess I can't get both. Right now, I'm now leaning more towards the Mac though. Almost the same specs as the Lenovo, and *should* be able to play a few games. Plus, buying it through Apple's education store, I can save 300 dollars...

#45 2015-01-23 08:18:09

jji7skyline
Scratch Team

elfin8er wrote:
jji7skyline wrote:
April wrote:

I want OS X for Logic Pro, Garage band, and the sorts, but I want Windows for playing games and what-not. I guess I can't get both. Right now, I'm now leaning more towards the Mac though. Almost the same specs as the Lenovo, and *should* be able to play a few games. Plus, buying it through Apple's education store, I can save 300 dollars...

You CAN run both, just use bootcamp on the Mac.

It's officially supported, very easy, and fully functional. In fact, my Mac runs Windows better than most PCs can.

Additionally, some people seem to think that it's some sort of emulation or virtual machine that slows down the computer. No it isn't, you're running Windows natively, full speed.

#46 2015-01-23 11:15:40

April
Princess de jure
Website

of course, then you have to deal with Apple and Apple are Not Nice

#47 2015-01-23 11:55:50

Slaymaker
Scratcher

April wrote:

+1

#48 2015-01-23 12:32:36

jji7skyline
Scratch Team

April wrote:

I'd rather deal with Apple then 99% other companies. They have the highest customer satisfaction rating after all, and are well known for their awesome after-sales support.

#49 2015-01-23 14:16:49

Slaymaker
Scratcher

jji7skyline wrote:
April wrote:

I'd rather deal with Apple then 99% other companies. They have the highest customer satisfaction rating after all, and are well known for their awesome after-sales support.

True. I think I'd rather deal with Apple than Microsoft (among other companies).

Last edited by Slaymaker (2015-01-23 14:41:52)

#50 2015-01-23 15:27:59

elfin8er
Scratcher

I'm not an Apple fanboy or anything, but I don't think Apple is given enough credit sometimes.

Board footer