Miscellaneous Forums

All the cool Scratchers.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-20 20:11:32

Slaymaker
Scratcher

New google modular phone. "Project ARA"

Has anyone seen googles new modular phone? I think it looks great. The possibilities are endless. It's launching in puerto rico pretty soon if it hasn't already. What are your thoughts about it?

meme-faces-3-meme-fb-cover.jpg

#2 2015-01-20 23:28:45

elfin8er
Scratcher

Re: New google modular phone. "Project ARA"

Good for google. Hopefully it turns out as well as we're expecting (which I imagine it will).

#3 2015-01-20 23:33:21

Slaymaker
Scratcher

elfin8er wrote:

Good for google. Hopefully it turns out as well as we're expecting (which I imagine it will).

I really hope they have then option to choose the size of the screen and possibly the type of screen.

#4 2015-01-21 00:54:58

jji7skyline
Scratch Team

Wouldn't the phone sacrifice battery life and slimness to be modular?

Also, knowing the tech companies, I bet that you'll have to buy a whole new kit to upgrade to the latest generation CPU which kinda defeats the point anyway.

#5 2015-01-21 01:05:35

elfin8er
Scratcher

jji7skyline wrote:

Also, knowing the tech companies, I bet that you'll have to buy a whole new kit to upgrade to the latest generation CPU which kinda defeats the point anyway.

Actually, I don't think it does any of those... It's supposed to be just as slim as modern phones, have the same battery life. I don't remember hearing anything about needing to buy a whole new kit, but I doubt you'd have to.

#6 2015-01-21 01:26:17

Slaymaker
Scratcher

jji7skyline wrote:

I believe it's possible to just load it with * tons of batery power actually but I may be wrong. However the part about upgrading to the latest CPU is probably accurate though.

#7 2015-01-21 03:26:12

djdolphin
Scratcher

Looks cool! But frankly I don't trust Google. Or Apple. Or Microsoft. I still use their products though. tongue

Yo

#8 2015-01-21 03:29:23

echs
Scratcher

I don't trust
but I still am

ER77UC2.gif

#9 2015-01-21 03:32:25

elfin8er
Scratcher

You can't really trust anybody these days tbh... but that's not gonna stop me from using their things big_smile

#10 2015-01-21 04:35:57

nathanprocks
Scratcher

It would be awesome to have modules that can go over other modules e.g. a battery that uses one module slot but covers the entire back of the phone.

You lost the game! <-- Highlight

#11 2015-01-21 04:38:40

elfin8er
Scratcher

nathanprocks wrote:

It would be awesome to have modules that can go over other modules e.g. a battery that uses one module slot but covers the entire back of the phone.

Sounds like it'd be similar to those battery cases.

#12 2015-01-21 04:40:51

nathanprocks
Scratcher

elfin8er wrote:
nathanprocks wrote:

Well now that you mention that... It would be difficult to make a case for Ara because some modules can be thicker than others.

You lost the game! <-- Highlight

#13 2015-01-21 04:42:43

elfin8er
Scratcher

nathanprocks wrote:
elfin8er wrote:
nathanprocks wrote:

Well now that you mention that... It would be difficult to make a case for Ara because some modules can be thicker than others.

Would they? I don't think we know enough about Ara yet to know for sure.

#14 2015-01-21 11:39:24

Slaymaker
Scratcher

nathanprocks wrote:
elfin8er wrote:
nathanprocks wrote:

That's a good point. I wonder how they'll address cases. Especially since you can put the camera anywhere.

#15 2015-01-21 15:13:05

elfin8er
Scratcher

Slaymaker wrote:
nathanprocks wrote:
elfin8er wrote:

That's a good point. I wonder how they'll address cases. Especially since you can put the camera anywhere.

Modular cases? O.o

#16 2015-01-21 15:25:00

Slaymaker
Scratcher

elfin8er wrote:
Slaymaker wrote:
nathanprocks wrote:

Modular cases? O.o

That's what I was thinking but they'd have to be really cheap and there would also be no life proof cases I dknt think.

#17 2015-01-21 15:44:29

elfin8er
Scratcher

Slaymaker wrote:
elfin8er wrote:
Slaymaker wrote:

Modular cases? O.o

That's what I was thinking but they'd have to be really cheap and there would also be no life proof cases I dknt think.

Though think of it this way. If you drop it and the screen breaks, you'd only have to replace the screen. That may end up being the same price as a case, so a case may not even be needed.

#18 2015-01-21 15:48:10

Slaymaker
Scratcher

elfin8er wrote:
Slaymaker wrote:
elfin8er wrote:

Modular cases? O.o

Though think of it this way. If you drop it and the screen breaks, you'd only have to replace the screen. That may end up being the same price as a case, so a case may not even be needed.

That's a good point. I guess we'll have to see though. I am really looking forward to getting one.

#19 2015-01-21 15:51:02

elfin8er
Scratcher

Slaymaker wrote:
elfin8er wrote:
Slaymaker wrote:

That's a good point. I guess we'll have to see though. I am really looking forward to getting one.

The biggest downfall I can see, is moisture. Even if it's not dropped in water, I can see steam breaking the phone. However, if each module is water resistant, it may dry out and be fine if you take it apart.

#20 2015-01-21 15:53:40

Slaymaker
Scratcher

elfin8er wrote:
Slaymaker wrote:
elfin8er wrote:

The biggest downfall I can see, is moisture. Even if it's not dropped in water, I can see steam breaking the phone. However, if each module is water resistant, it may dry out and be fine if you take it apart.

Yeah. Knowing Google though, they have come up with some brilliant solution to everything.

#21 2015-01-21 15:56:48

elfin8er
Scratcher

Slaymaker wrote:
elfin8er wrote:
Slaymaker wrote:

Yeah. Knowing Google though, they have come up with some brilliant solution to everything.

"Ara - The immortal phone"

#22 2015-01-21 15:59:26

Slaymaker
Scratcher

elfin8er wrote:
Slaymaker wrote:
elfin8er wrote:

Indeed. Oh and I almost forgot you able to add pictures to the modules! That will be cool. My first picture will be of you heart-skype-smiley

#23 2015-01-21 16:01:04

elfin8er
Scratcher

Slaymaker wrote:
elfin8er wrote:
Slaymaker wrote:

Indeed. Oh and I almost forgot you able to add pictures to the modules! That will be cool. My first picture will be of you heart-skype-smiley

Wait wut? You can add pictures to your modules? That's kinda neat, though I hope it's not just like a paper finish or anything...

#24 2015-01-21 16:03:44

Slaymaker
Scratcher

elfin8er wrote:
Slaymaker wrote:
elfin8er wrote:

Wait wut? You can add pictures to your modules? That's kinda neat, though I hope it's not just like a paper finish or anything...

No, literally made into the module. It's amazing.

#25 2015-01-21 16:04:14

elfin8er
Scratcher

Slaymaker wrote:
elfin8er wrote:
Slaymaker wrote:

No, literally made into the module. It's amazing.

Link?

Board footer